Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lynx Forum > Lynx Support Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Recommended motherboard for LynxTwo PCI+Aurora8
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available
February 16, 2016: Aurora USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 16, 2016: Hilo USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available

Recommended motherboard for LynxTwo PCI+Aurora8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OlavK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended motherboard for LynxTwo PCI+Aurora8
    Posted: March/10/2017 at 10:40am
Hi
I have a setup with a L2B PCI with LSlot connection to Aurora8. My current PC (Win10 Pro, ASUS P8Z68 mobo) is ageing and needs replacement. 

I have two options, either build a new pc with legacy PCI expansion port or install a LT-USB in my Aurora.

For option 1, are there any recommended mother boards?

For option 2 (where I would loose 6 AO), will I still be using Lynx Mixer? If not, will the LT-USB user interface give the same flexibility as the Lynx Mixer? And is there any concerns about installing LT-USB on an A8 from 2010?

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by OlavK - March/10/2017 at 10:40am
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 4:03pm
Option 1: the newer Asus boards that support PCI would be good choices. The P8Z77 has been a good performer for PCI, the Z97 chipset boards as well. 

Option 2: With USB you will not be using the Lynx Mixer, you would be using the Aurora Remote control software which is quite a bit more limited in capability than the Lynx mixer.    You can check out the section on the Aurora Remote in the LT-USB manual for details. No problem installing an LT-USB in an Aurora of that vintage, as long as you have firmware rev 23 or above.  
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
OlavK View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OlavK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2017 at 5:39am
Good point about the Remote control vs the mixer. I really want to keep using the mixer.

The motherboards you listed are quite old, aren't they? To be more up to date and make it possible to upgrade to newer processors, could a third option be to use a AES16e (and be limited to 8ch, of course. I would need to sell my L2B)? I would expect PCIe expansion slots to be around for a while still, while legacy PCI slots seem to become less common. 

EDIT: And I would be able to use the new mixer version, wouldn't I? Smile

Edited by OlavK - March/20/2017 at 5:42am
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 4:04pm
Yes, must easier to find PCIe support, and with an AES16e you can use the new Lynx mixer. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
OlavK View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OlavK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2017 at 1:00am
Thanks for your inputs. I will consider AES16e in my next rig, I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply