Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lynx Forum > Lynx Support Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lynx Aurora 16 LT-USB / Cubase 7 / Outboard Gear I
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February 27, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 User Manual now Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available
February 16, 2016: Aurora USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 16, 2016: Hilo USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available

Lynx Aurora 16 LT-USB / Cubase 7 / Outboard Gear I

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantcomplain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lynx Aurora 16 LT-USB / Cubase 7 / Outboard Gear I
    Posted: March/01/2017 at 1:14am
Hello,

I am having difficulty wrapping my head around an issue I am experiencing with Cubase 7 and my Lynx Aurora 16 LT-USB. When I route a signal out to any hardware compressors or EQ, the signal returns with a slight delay (sorta sounds like a slapback delay). Delay compensation in Cubase does not remedy the issue. 

Steps I have taken thus far:

1. Set up EXTERNAL FX in Cubase 7 for compressor 
2. Assign EXTERNAL FX to insert of, for example, a snare track
3. Ping the bypassed hardware (cubase delay compensation)
4. Switch off bypass on the hardware
5. Start sending the snare signal to compressor
6. Returns delayed with sort of slapback, smeared effect

The LT-USB card is USB 2.0 and I know that latency can be an issue. However, the delay compensation, in theory, should take care of this. I have even called LYNX technical support for guidance, but could not reach a firm conclusion. At this point, I am convinced that I need to upgrade to the AES16e (PCIe) or something.

Am I totally missing something here? I am just starting to use hardware as external effects so I have little to no experience in this realm. It should be noted that I am using Windows 7. 

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
BuhoCiego View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuhoCiego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2017 at 9:44pm
Have you tried this in another DAW?

It sounds like it's a Cubase config thing.
I don't use Cubase so maybe my post will not help, but just in case.

In protools, you'll experience this kind of latency if you don't use your hardware as a PT "insert". Also, you have to use the same DA/AD channel to use the hardware gear as a "plugin".

Example: Aurora output *1* goes to compressor and input *1* returns from compressor to DAW channel. And DAW is configured to use Aurora's channel 1 as hardware insert point.

But if your setup is just sending the output of the DAW channel to a hardware EQ etc, and then simply come back into your DAW, maybe Cubase would not know that you want to use your hardware as "plugin" and would not compensate for latency. (I read you use an "External FX" setup, which I suppose is Cubase's setup to use a hardware as plugin.. but your problem does sound like a DAW config issue)

Hope it helps.
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2017 at 4:22pm
I wonder if there is some more delay with the outboard gear when you take it out of standby. Can you keep it on but have all the controls set to a neutral position and see if the ping is any different? I presume these are analog I/O inserts you are working with? 
You also might try a loop recording and see if the recorded file is behind the source and by how much. You could adjust the insert offset a corresponding amount and see if that corrects it. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
cantcomplain View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantcomplain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2017 at 1:10am
Hey, thanks a lot for the response, I appreciate it. I haven't tried it in another DAW unfortunately. 

The "External FX" is essentially Cubase's mechanism to control hardware as a plugin. Once you set up the inputs and outputs in the External FX menu, you can then use that hardware as an insert or "plugin" on any given channel. 

It is likely a Cubase configuration issue, I agree. Just can't seem to figure this one out. Thanks for the help. 

Paul, thanks for the response as well. I have tried pinging the hardware both bypassed and punched in. Neither seem to correctly compensate for latency. I have a few more ideas that I am going to try and I will update. In any case, thank you for helping out. 

Edited by cantcomplain - March/14/2017 at 1:12am
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 4:04pm
Good luck and keep us posted
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
lyrical View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyrical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2017 at 10:39pm
hello ! have a problem with my aurora lt usb on windows 10 with last driver and frimware!
when i open the remote control a message error say "unable to locate aurora"
i have another problem my aes out don't work!

Can you help me?
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 4:11pm
Hello, 
Is this an Aurora 8 or an Aurora 16? What is TO DIGITAL OUT set to? 
What cable are you using for the Digital I/O, is it the Lynx DIGY85 or a third party cable? If third party, is it Yamaha pinout? 

With the problem opening the Aurora Remote, does this occur only when you have a DAW open? 
What other MIDI devices are installed in your system? 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
lyrical View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyrical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2017 at 12:57am
it is an aurora 8 and i use a MUTEC D25XLR8IO6Y aes cable yamaha pinout. 
the clock is communicate but no sound. 

I can't use the remote control, he never open.

When a open my daw (cubase element 8) the out 9-16 apparate but i have no sound.

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2017 at 1:01pm
The Analog I/O does work? So, we will need to do some routing for the Digital I/O, but we need to get the ARC to open first. 
Can you try downloading and running this version of the ARC and see if it will open and operate? 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
lyrical View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyrical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 8:53am
hy! on my old latop i have old remote control driver and the remote open.
I change the configuration:
analog in : lslot
digital out: remote
and i play song with aes out!
thank's for you driver it work very well! where did you dl this driver? 
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2017 at 1:47pm
It is from the downloads section of our new website
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Ydaffan View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ydaffan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2017 at 7:34am
Hi, I am experiencing the same problem with the Aurora 8 an a GA EQ-73.
Any new ideas or solutions on how to solve this?

Thanks,
Yaron.
 Post Reply Post Reply