January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater Available
February 16, 2016: Aurora USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 16, 2016: Hilo USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available

Hilo MQA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bliss53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hilo MQA?
    Posted: January/07/2017 at 12:24pm
Any chance to see a MQA firmware upgrade for the Hilo.
Max Galkin View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Galkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2017 at 10:12pm
Very interesting question :)
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 10:09am
What do you think that MQA will give you?
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
Max Galkin View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max Galkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by David A Hoatson David A Hoatson wrote:

What do you think that MQA will give you?

As I understand it, MQA provides better sound quality at a low bit rate stream. 16 / 44.1 in this format sounds as Hi-rez audio. This is a technology for online music libraries, such as Tidal and so on. And these services are becoming more popular.
xtraktz View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xtraktz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 11:49am
Best playback quality on hardware level encoding ?

Edited by xtraktz - January/11/2017 at 11:58am
bliss53 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bliss53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 2:09pm
Here is a link with the same chart noted in the post above with a bit more information. 

http://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained#uMi2RDJO1DXYJTOU.97

I have Tidal and have listened to software decoded and it sounds quite good.  It would be very cool to add send my Tidal or Audirvana stream directly through my Hilo for maximum sound quality.
bliss53 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bliss53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2017 at 5:34pm
Check out the following link to the MQA site for playback providers at http://www.mqa.co.uk/professional/for-playback-providers
bliss53 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bliss53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2017 at 6:47am
David,

Any thoughts or interest in MQA for the Hilo?

JohnWalker View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 3:56am
David, your tendency of batting valid user questions back to the user with "why are you asking this?" comes over as arrogant. You have already done this to me once before. MQA is a live topic, and you are doing your customers a disservice by avoiding addressing it.

Can Lynx (not one of their users) please give the company's view on MQA? Could Lynx please comment on whether or not the company is considering implementing it on the Hilo?
Retired UW acoustics engineer
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 10:15am
Hi John,

There are no plans currently but we always keep a close ear to the ground about formats. Problem is, there seems to be a new one every month and no manufacturer can or will support all of them....even though they are ALL the best ever, never to be surpassed, best thing since sliced bread, etc.

"Standards are a wonderful thing....that's why there's so many of them."  Wink

We will keep listening and watching this, and all, formats to see if it makes sense to implement. We always appreciate customers' input, thank you for that.
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
Sales & Support Coordinator
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 11:14am
JohnWalker, I said nothing of the sort.  I simply asked 'bliss53' what he thought the benefits of MQA were.  
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 2:48am
I'm  still waiting to hear your own view on MQA, but I finally did get the V8 user manual - about two months after I gave up trying to figure it out, and reverted to a simpler set up.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 11:05am
John, it is unfortunate that you seem dissatisfied with our support.  We do the best we are able (which I think is MUCH better than most of our competitors) and sometimes it takes us a bit of time to get things to the level we would like them to be.  Frankly, we are in the middle of a time-consuming development project that is taking all of the effort of the entire company to complete, so sometimes the support forum doesn't get answered as quickly as some might like.

To get directly to the point you asked about: I don't think my personal views about MQA are relevant to the discussion.  The question was if Lynx was to support that format, and my response was just to ask why that customer (which was not you) thought that format was interesting/important.  These comments all get added to the formula as to what we are going to add to the next products. 

I think Lynx has done an excellent job of adding new features to our product line that is already shipping.  What other company gives you new features like a real-time analyzer or full function Monitor controller for free, maybe long after you purchased the product? 

If you wish to further the discussion of your dissatisfaction with our support or with myself, I suggest you PM me directly.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 11:07am
Sorry David, maybe that was a cheap shot, but now I've got that bit of frustration out of my system, I'll get back on MQA . Most reviews in the audio consumer press gush too enthusiastically for me. This piece: https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/05/high-res-audio-guide-mqa-explained/8/ questions both the motivation behind, and the performance of, MQA. I'm very sceptical that MQA serves to foist DRM control onto users, but hidden below a 'superior sound' message. I'd very much appreciate views from other users; I'm also very keen to hear what Lynx thinks of the technology - given that some big studios have signed up, won't offering MQA be important in the (re)mastering studio?
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnWalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 7:31am
David
Don't put words in my mouth. I don't 'seem' dissatisfied with your support, I AM dissatisfied. One constant in my dealings with Lynx is that despite being very fulsome about how good you are, you seem to have little time to deal with criticism. Is your asking me to PM the issues rather than deal with them here a symptom?

I will send a more detailed PM only to spare the other users on this forum, but here's a summary.

1. The Hilo is marketed as USB Class 2 Audio compliant, but you told me that you have only ever tested that compliance against one commercial and closed implementation. That answer is rubbish - how can you claim 'Class' anything when you've only tested against one instance? If you had been more honest in your marketing, Mytek would have got my money. (They still might.)

2. I thought that, if you could give me some information, I might be able to solve the problem using the Linux forums. When I asked you for insight on the 'illegal numeric value" reported by Linux when handshaking with the Hilo, I pointed out two other examples where numeric values were being presented incorrectly by the Hilo. Your response was to ask me the user, why I was bringing this to your attention. OK - here's what I think. If your device thinks the year is 2047, then I think that  your software team might not be as good as they think they are.

3. A few months later, I wasted quite a bit of time trying to fathom out how a new release of firmware was supposed to operate. Engineers intervened a number of times on the forum but only added to the confusion - they would have been better off spending their time finishing off the manual. Pushing out a new user interface weeks ahead of the documentation was a bad piece of business judgement, in my view.

bliss53 View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bliss53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2017 at 12:26pm
Mike and David,

Thanks for looking into my question.  I am sorry that John jumped the thread.  When MQA was announced in 2014 it did seem like the flavor of the month.

Since the universal catalog was added to the existing Warner catalog for MQA encoding it has gained some momentum.  If negotiations to sign on the Sony catalog are successful then it might be worth another look.

The Hilo continues to do the heavy lifting in my system as a DAC, An ADC for vinyl recording and as a headphone amp.  I would love to add the function of a MQA streaming DAC.  I will to watch the this forum and be hopefull.

Post Reply Post Reply