January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater for macOS Available
February 16, 2016: Aurora USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 16, 2016: Hilo USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available

Protools TDM 10.3 + AES16e

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NelisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protools TDM 10.3 + AES16e
    Posted: March/22/2017 at 1:45am
Hi all,

I want to add a AES16e card to my Protools HD3 Accell system.
Goal: I like to get audio into the system not going throught the 192 I/O, but through a AES16(e) card. (Coming from my dCS converters)

Yesterday I tried my old AES16 card with the Lynx_OSX-55 driver. 
But when I opened Protools, only the AES16 card was recognized, the 192 I/O was not.
And Protools got very jerky and running out of dsp power right away, DSP from the Accell cards was also not recognized.

So my question: is it possible to get a AES16(e) card working next to the HD3 Accell cards?
And which driver and firmware do I need?

My system:
Mac OS 10.8.5
Protools HD 10.3.10 TDM
Interface : Digidesign 192 I/O
dCS Master clock 992

Thanks a lot for your help!

Edited by NelisB - March/22/2017 at 7:31am
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 2:00pm
For both devices to be seen by PT, make sure to create an Aggregate Dvice in the Mac's AUDIO MIDI SETUP, and make sure DRIFT is UNchecked for each device in the Aggregate (both the AVID card and the AES16e).

Select the Aggregate Device as your Playback Engine in PT.
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
NelisB View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NelisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 2:18pm
Thanks Mike!!

That helps a lot!

Which driver and firmware would you recommend for my set-up?

Thanks again!
NelisB View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NelisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 3:03am
Hi Mike,

When I want to create an Aggregate Device, the Digidesign HW does not show on the right side of the window. It shows only on the left side, above the Aggregate device and the AES16e.
How do I get the Digi HW on the right side, so I can use it by checking it?

Thanks, Niels

Driver is 58
FW update is 14.0
NelisB View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NelisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 4:24am
Mike,

I tried driver 57A en FW13.2, by first uninstalling driver 58, then installing 57A and then installing FW13.2. The AES16e is not recognized anymore. Also not after uninstalling 57A en re-installing 58.
The FW Updater, Audio-Midisetup and the Lynxmixer, don't see the card anymore at all.

What do I do now?

Thanks for helping

Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 3:36pm
Hi,

Did something happen during the update of the firmware (crash, error, etc.)?

There is a jumper on the AES16e, along the edge that has the PCI contacts, labelled PROM 1 and PROM 2. Move the jumper from PROM 2 to PROM 1 and reinstall the card. The card should now appear. You can now reprogram the card. If programming is successful, remove the card again and move the jumper back to PROM 2.

*Make sure removal and reinstall of the card are with the computer powered down and its AC cable pulled.*

Let us know what happens.

Re the Aggregate Device, You can try selecting Pro Tools Aggregate on the left of AUDIO MIDI SETUP's screen and add AES16e to that Aggregate.
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
NelisB View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NelisB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 3:11am
The card is working again after moving the jumper, reprogramming and moving back the jumper.

I tried to create an aggregate with the AES16e not installed. Protools TDM hardware doesn't aggregate. I tried to find a workaround on the web, but it seems there is no workaround.

If there is anyone who found a way to create a aggregate with a Lynx and PT TDM card, please let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by NelisB - April/22/2017 at 5:03am
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2017 at 4:12pm
It will not be possible to aggregate a core audio device and the PT TDM hardware, because TDM is not Core Audio. It uses DAE which is proprietary. 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
 Post Reply Post Reply