January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater for macOS Available
February 16, 2016: Aurora USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 16, 2016: Hilo USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available

hilo usb, line out level

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hilo usb, line out level
    Posted: March/16/2017 at 8:13am
hi,

just wondering why the line out level meter on the hilo display does not match the physical output level, for instance when i send line out to an external unit, the externals unit input reading is lower than expected?

i have toggled the hilo's trim features and worked out it could be made up to be a matched signal, but i would have thought that if the hilo's line out meter displays up to 0db, for example, why is signal much lower into the external unit itself, as if they don't match somehow?

when comparing it to my prior interface, when i would send an up to 0db out level to the external hardware i would not have to increase its input levels/gains as much, but with using the hilo it seems necessary to add volume with the trim function to get louder/same result as prior interface i was using?

could i be setting something wrong somewhere or overlooking anything perhaps?

cheers

Edited by graph - March/16/2017 at 8:17am
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Sales & Support Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 9:53am
What is the external unit you refer to?

Hilo's default is +20 dBu. What is the default calibration of the external unit?
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 10:38am
hi,

connection is from hilo xlr line out to a tl audio fat track line in 1 and line in 2 (1/4" trs).

i'm not sure what its calibrated to, as i was just comparing it to my prior interface, which would send at full volume (0db max) into the fat track and the 'drive' led's would light up indicating signal level.

but with the hilo i thought it would do the same, as in the hilo's level meters seem to indicate full level/signal being sent out, so wondered why the yellow led's on fat track aren't lighting up/level not loud enough (i have to use hilo's trim feature or increase gain on fat track) like prior interface?

cheers

Edited by graph - March/16/2017 at 10:39am
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 11:42am
Hard to know without knowing the TL Audio's calibration....but Hilo defaults to +20 dBu.

We have different trim levels available specifically for matching components (as in this case) so there no harm in changing it to match your TL. They could very well be a +24 dBu unit, so Hilo level going into it would be a little light if Hilo is set to +20.

UPDATE:  OK I looked at their owner's manual......They are set to +22 dBu, so you should set Hilo the same way.

Edited by Mike N - March/16/2017 at 11:46am
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 12:14pm
hi,

thanks for looking into that, much appreciated.

i do have another matter that i would like to question, to possibly do with cross talk or maybe audio leaking in to the side/diff. channel, which i'm unsure if the hilo could be causing or the fat track unit we have discussed.

i can start a new thread if that is more appropriate?

cheers and thanks again!

Edited by graph - March/16/2017 at 12:17pm
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 12:26pm
You're very welcome. We can talk about it here, no worries.

At -140 dB, Hilo has almost zero crosstalk. The TL does not spec theirs...are the channels panned hard left and right on the TL?
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 12:55pm
hi,

yes they are panned hard left and right.

what it is, is i send a totally mono signal out of the hilo's xlr line outs (via usb play 1+2) and into fat track line in 1+2, then send the balanced xlr outputs from the fat track back into the hilo's xlr line inputs (to usb record 1+2).  daw monitoring is via lynxs' usb play 3+4 sent to monitor out.

what will happen is in the daw (cubase 8.5 pro) i will analyze the returned signal and there is what i think overly noticeable and slighlty distorted audible leak (or cross talk?) into the side/diff. channel.  its as if there is content in the side channel which there shouldn't be of course.

i am using high end balanced xlr/trs cables throughout.

i'm wondering if there is any way to eliminate the hilo as being a possible cause, could i simply run the hilo's line outs straight back into its line ins and then test from there, if that makes sense?

i've noticed on daw return input level when lynx line in input level is adequate that the leak/cross talk (or whatever it is) in the side/diff. channel is approx -40/50db.

cheers
Mike N View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 2:13pm
Not only is that routing possible (LINE OUTs to LINE INs) but that was going to be my next thought... Smile

How are you connected from Hilo to the computer? And what OS do you use?
Michael Nicoletti
Lynx Studio Technology
714-545-4700 Ext. 211
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2017 at 3:27pm
hi,

connected to pc via the usb cable and i use win 7 pro x64 sp1.

i do believe that my routing in the hilo/remote app. is configured correctly for what i am basically doing.

i am imagining that there is nothing wrong with the hilo but at the same time surely the fat track hardware shouldn't have that higher cross talk or leakage (or what ever the issue is)?

cheers

Edited by graph - March/16/2017 at 5:43pm
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2017 at 7:08am
hi,

i've not yet tried the line out to line in method to test for whatever the issue is i was describing prior, but something i have noticed since is the random behavior of the remote app and/or hilo.

it seems that sometimes there is a feedback loop or something occurring with the app's usb level meter readout?

not sure how to explain it exactly, but it seems that randomly there will be a signal in 1 or 2 of the remote app. usb readouts which doesn't appear on the hilo level meters or sometimes does?

also other random behavior in the app. like the channels i have muted/configured sometimes undoing themselves and/or the sliders being up/down, strange?

i'm using the latest version of firmware/remote app. and reinstalled etc.

cheers

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2017 at 3:54pm
Does restoring defaults clear that behavior up? 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
graph View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2017 at 5:49am
hi,

yes it did clear it up but it would return again soon enough, just random behavior really.

i just use the hilo itself now for routing which is a shame because i did like the software!

i also noticed that there was no headphone selection in the latest software i used?

cheers

Edited by graph - March/23/2017 at 5:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply