Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lynx Forum > Lynx Support Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help me set up my Aurora16 with my studio please!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater for Windows Available
January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater for macOS Available
February 16, 2016: Aurora USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 16, 2016: Hilo USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available

Help me set up my Aurora16 with my studio please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveyraff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me set up my Aurora16 with my studio please!
    Posted: January/08/2017 at 1:16pm
Hey guys. 

I have read the manuals but I am struggling to understand exactly how to set up an Aurora 16 with my studio. This is all new to me. I need someone to really spell it out for me and tell me what I need to do, specifically to my set up. 

So - I have a small studio with an old Mackie Onyx 1620 (not the newer 'i' version). When I got it, I installed the optional firewire card. This gives me 16 ins and a stereo out. 

The Onyx is a 16 channel mixer and has 8 XLR pre amps. I also have DAV BG1 and GAP Pre-73 outboard preamps, and plan to invest in a few others in near future. 

For the past 7 years, I have been using the desks headphone output split between the two live rooms, then split in each room with a headphone amplifier. Its not a great set up as it means everyone working in the studio has to rely on the same headphone mix - which is the same as the main stereo monitor mix (KRK's). 

I know my preamps aren't particularly high end, but I plan on investing in better ones in the future. Already, I feel like the Onyx Firewire convertor card is the weakest link in my set up. Hence buying an Aurora 16. 

The Aurora 16 I bought has a Firewire card installed. 

Here is a look at the back of my Onyx Desk: 

So - can someone please tell me exactly what cables I will need to purchase, and exactly how my desk, outboard preamps, monitors, headphones etc will all be connected to my Aurora 16, and exactly what settings I should have the Aurora set to ?? 

Sorry - I am trying to do this research myself - I just find all this new info overwhelming. 

Many thanks for the help! 
Steve. 

Edited by steveyraff - January/08/2017 at 1:23pm
dontletmedrown View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontletmedrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2017 at 5:15pm
Hi Steve,

Let me start by saying that I don't use my Aurora with firewire, so I don't know the limitations of the system when used that way.  Right off the bat, you'll want to NOT connect the Onyx firewire cable so that the Aurora is the only firewire device that can communicate with your computer.

Without a patchbay, that mixer will complicate your setup which is probably why you're a little confused.  Are you planning to use the mixer only for the preamps?  Or are you planning to mix through it?

Assuming you just want to use the preamps, you'd send the DB25 outputs from the Onyx (bottom-right) to the input DB25 slots on the Aurora.  From there can either monitor all of your signals inside your daw by assigning and arming your tracks, or if you want to use the zero-latency monitoring, you can use the Lynx software mixer (I don't do this- I find it clumsy managing signals through 2 different windows.  I monitor all of my signals inside of Pro Tools and set the latency low during tracking). 

If you're hoping to mix through the Onyx, then you'd send the Aurora channel outputs into the channel inputs on the Onyx, then connect your mains to the Main Outs on the Onyx (I don't do this- I mix ITB, so my Aurora outputs go directly to my monitors).

No matter which way you go, you'll probably want to get a multi-channel headphone amp since that will make it easier create custom headphone feeds.  I won't tell you every cable you need to buy since that's your responsibility as an audio engineer, but I can offer additional guidance once you clarify how you plan to implement the mixer.  Hopefully some of that was helpful. 

FYI- there is not much traffic in these forums.  I'm here trying to get some support for a problem that just popped up with my system, so I'll be checking in every so often. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Dave Escobar
www.socalsounddesign.com
steveyraff View Drop Down
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveyraff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2017 at 5:32pm
Oh I am planning to use the Onyx only for its preamps. I already can't use its EQ or anything else. I do not plan on using its firewire card anymore once I set the Aurora up. Its just for its 8 xlr preamps :) 
john1192 View Drop Down
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john1192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by dontletmedrown dontletmedrown wrote:

Hi Steve,

Let me start by saying that I don't use my Aurora with firewire, so I don't know the limitations of the system when used that way.  Right off the bat, you'll want to NOT connect the Onyx firewire cable so that the Aurora is the only firewire device that can communicate with your computer.

Without a patchbay, that mixer will complicate your setup which is probably why you're a little confused.  Are you planning to use the mixer only for the preamps?  Or are you planning to mix through it?

Assuming you just want to use the preamps, you'd send the DB25 outputs from the Onyx (bottom-right) to the input DB25 slots on the Aurora.  From there can either monitor all of your signals inside your daw by assigning and arming your tracks, or if you want to use the zero-latency monitoring, you can use the Lynx software mixer (I don't do this- I find it clumsy managing signals through 2 different windows.  I monitor all of my signals inside of Pro Tools and set the latency low during tracking). 

If you're hoping to mix through the Onyx, then you'd send the Aurora channel outputs into the channel inputs on the Onyx, then connect your mains to the Main Outs on the Onyx (I don't do this- I mix ITB, so my Aurora outputs go directly to my monitors).

No matter which way you go, you'll probably want to get a multi-channel headphone amp since that will make it easier create custom headphone feeds.  I won't tell you every cable you need to buy since that's your responsibility as an audio engineer, but I can offer additional guidance once you clarify how you plan to implement the mixer.  Hopefully some of that was helpful. 

FYI- there is not much traffic in these forums.  I'm here trying to get some support for a problem that just popped up with my system, so I'll be checking in every so often. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

hey dave,  just remember that the Lynx Mixer does not work with the Firewire Option ... 

cheers john
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 5:39pm
Part of your problem with this system is that you are doing double AD and DA conversion. This minimizes the benefit of the good converters on the Aurora. You'll get much better results when you choose different pre-amps. 

Excellent points by Dave there. I concur with what he had to say... 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveyraff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 3:30am
Originally posted by PaulTech PaulTech wrote:

Part of your problem with this system is that you are doing double AD and DA conversion. This minimizes the benefit of the good converters on the Aurora. You'll get much better results when you choose different pre-amps. 

I'm not sure I follow? As stated above, I am not using the Mackie Firewire card, I am only using the desk for its Pre-amps in conjunction with my range of better outboard pre amps. How is this double AD and DA? 

Thanks, 
Steve. 
john1192 View Drop Down
Wildcat
Wildcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote john1192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 7:15am

hi paul,  i have been chatting with Steve on a another forum and suggested he come here for some better answers to his questions .. he will NOT be using the Mackie Firewire at All .. just the Firewire in the Aurora .. 

he is moving away from that Mackie workflow to the Aurora Workflow using either (he has a choice) LT-FW or LT-USB card for his Aurora .. i suggested he find a PCIe card "eventually" as this would give him the Lynx Mixer and the super low latency .. but for now it is a choice of FW or USB .. can you help him understand the differences as well .. 

Clocking is the other question:  for Logic to be the Master (so that when he changes sample rates his Aurora will follow along) what would be the best Clocking scenario .. 

1) setting aurora for L-Slot  ???   
2) setting aurora for Internal  ??? 

nice to see another convert to the Lynx Aurora !!!!  

cheers john

Caracal
Caracal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveyraff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2017 at 7:24am
Originally posted by john1192 john1192 wrote:

hi paul,  i have been chatting with Steve on a another forum and suggested he come here for some better answers to his questions .. he will NOT be using the Mackie Firewire at All .. just the Firewire in the Aurora .. 

he is moving away from that Mackie workflow to the Aurora Workflow using either (he has a choice) LT-FW or LT-USB card for his Aurora .. i suggested he find a PCIe card "eventually" as this would give him the Lynx Mixer and the super low latency .. but for now it is a choice of FW or USB .. can you help him understand the differences as well .. 

Clocking is the other question:  for Logic to be the Master (so that when he changes sample rates his Aurora will follow along) what would be the best Clocking scenario .. 

nice to see another convert to the Lynx Aurora !!!!  

cheers john

Thanks for your on-going support John!

Yes, I ended up just going for the LT-FW, as it was already installed on the Aurora which was in the best condition of those to pick from. I also thought I'd just go ahead with it as I'll probably take your advice and 'eventually' get a PCIe card. 

Looking forward to hearing answers to the clocking thing. 

The only other element I've been reading about but can't really get my head around is the difference between Single and Dual Wire and what scenarios I might need to chose between the two. 

One more thing! My Mackie Manual says the Dsub Recording Outs on the back of it are Tascam Standard. But I read the Aurora's Dsubs are Yamaha standard? I am confused as to exactly what kind of DB25 cables to get? 

So far, my shopping list for the Aurora goes as so:
< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545}

db25 to db25 

db25 to female xlr 8-way

db25 to male xlr 8-way

6 channel Headphone Amplifier. 

Thanks guys. The Aurora has been bought and I am looking forward to receiving it! 

Edited by steveyraff - January/11/2017 at 7:25am
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 5:03pm
Hi john, 

Thanks for your help with this. 

FW and USB are somewhat similar. The firewire card is long discontinued, and firewire as a format is a bit more prone to problems from the OS and other devices. USB, in general, is more robust. That being said, in a well configured system (no other firewire devices) either should work fine and be comparable in latency and performance. 

Internal would be the preferred selection. And the unit will change sample rates in response to the project rate. 

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by steveyraff steveyraff wrote:

Yes, I ended up just going for the LT-FW, as it was already installed on the Aurora which was in the best condition of those to pick from. I also thought I'd just go ahead with it as I'll probably take your advice and 'eventually' get a PCIe card.

Sounds good

The only other element I've been reading about but can't really get my head around is the difference between Single and Dual Wire and what scenarios I might need to chose between the two.

This is for older AES digital devices. unless you have some very unusual and esoteric digital gear that you are connecting, dual wire should remain OFF

One more thing! My Mackie Manual says the Dsub Recording Outs on the back of it are Tascam Standard. But I read the Aurora's Dsubs are Yamaha standard? I am confused as to exactly what kind of DB25 cables to get?

For analog Tascam is correct. But if you are connecting an analog D-Sub output to an analog D-Sub input, pinout is irrelevant. Just a regular analog D-Sub cable will work fine. 

So far, my shopping list for the Aurora goes as so:
< ="text/"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545}

db25 to db25 

db25 to female xlr 8-way

db25 to male xlr 8-way

6 channel Headphone Amplifier.

You are only using the analog I/O?

Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
 Post Reply Post Reply