January 9, 2017: Hilo Firmware 8 Updater for macOS Available
February 16, 2016: Aurora USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available
February 16, 2016: Hilo USB Driver Version 3.34 for Windows Available

Problem with AES16e on Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontletmedrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with AES16e on Windows 10
    Posted: January/04/2017 at 5:07pm
Hi,

Ever since updating to Windows 10, I'm having problems with the Advanced->Adapter Settings in the Lynx mixer.  I have a 32 channel setup, but it keeps randomly setting itself back to "16 channel". (See below) 

When this happens, my Pro Tools outputs get all screwed  up and doesn't play back through the correct monitors.  Any idea why this might be happening?  Seems completely random.  Today I mixed for about 6 hours, then closed PT.  Tried to re-open it an hour later and it was set back "16-channel" again. 

Note- even though it was set this way, the mixer still showed 32 channels so I had to futz around before I realized what happened.  Also, iTunes played back fine through all of my monitors (I have two sets), Pro Tools is the only thing that seems to be affected.

Any ideas?  I'm using the newest drivers and firmware.

Edited by dontletmedrown - January/04/2017 at 5:09pm
Dave Escobar
www.socalsounddesign.com
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David A Hoatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2017 at 9:54pm
There is no mechanism for changing the Channel Mode except for Lynx Mixer (and removing the device from device manager and reinstalling it from scratch) so there really isn't a way for that to change on its own.  That being said, why do you need 32-channel mode?  Do you have an LS-ADAT connected?  That would really be the only reason for it.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
dontletmedrown View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontletmedrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2017 at 9:18am
Yes, I use an LS-ADAT.  I should have mentioned that in my first post.  Woke up again this morning and it was set to 16-channel again.  Note that I have not shut down my computer.  Just went to sleep and by the time I woke up it had changed again. 

One more thing- after changing it to 32-channel and hitting save, I close the mixer so that I can restart, but the mixer app crashes.

Any idea what might be causing all of this?

Edited by dontletmedrown - January/05/2017 at 9:20am
Dave Escobar
www.socalsounddesign.com
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontletmedrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2017 at 12:43pm
Just came back from shopping and now it is back to 16-channel again.  I even re-seated both cards this morning.  Super-annoying since it requires a restart every time.  If you can look into this, any help is appreciated.  Do you have an AES16e + LS-ADAT system on Windows 10 that you can test?

Edited by dontletmedrown - January/05/2017 at 12:45pm
Dave Escobar
www.socalsounddesign.com
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2017 at 2:32pm
Keep me posted on the alternate reset mechanisms Dave. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontletmedrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2017 at 8:19am
Hi Paul,

After I changed the setting, "Allow clock change if active", it worked for the rest of Friday and all of Saturday.  When I woke up this morning it was not passing audio again, and when I checked, it had reverted to 16-channel again.  After seeing this, I did not change anything- just restarted.  After restart it still showed 16-channel but was passing audio.  10 minutes later I look at the setting and it is back to 32 channel.  Not sure what's up with this, but it is pretty annoying. 

Is there any other reason why this could be changing on its own?  Really weird and frustrating.  Yesterday it worked so well, I thought it was fixed, but today it is horrible.  Interesting update- now iTunes is also having problems.  When I hit play it sounds like glichy stretched audio.

I'm wasting way too much time on this.  If we can't find a solution soon, I feel like I have no choice but to wipe my system and go back to Windows 7. 

Do you guys have access to a test system like mine that you can test on Windows 10?

Edited by dontletmedrown - January/08/2017 at 9:03am
Dave Escobar
www.socalsounddesign.com
PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 5:30pm
I use an AES16e on Windows 10 everyday. There has to be something else going on. The super strange thing, is that the switch between 16 and 32 channel mode is only accessible from within the Lynx Mixer. 

i wonder if there may be something awry with the memory on the 16e card. If you wish, perhaps we can  send you a loaner card and see if the behavior disappears. If not then we know it is something in the OS or with the computer. 

If you want to pursue that send an email to support@lynxstudio.com referencing this thread and we can take it from there. 
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
Bobcat
Bobcat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dontletmedrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2017 at 8:02pm
That would be very awesome of you.  I will shoot them an email now.  Thank you so much Paul!
Dave Escobar
www.socalsounddesign.com
 Post Reply Post Reply