Topic ClosedLynx Hilo Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lynx Hilo Questions
    Posted: October/12/2012 at 10:26pm
Hi there,

I'm looking at puchasing a Hilo to integrate with my Aurora 16's and had a couple of presale questions.

1. I've read that only 1 set of digital inputs can be used at a time, is that correct? So I would not be able to use AES/EBU and spdif inputs simultaneously? What about adat + AES, or adat + spdif?

2. SRC is only available on the AES and spdif inputs, is that correct?

3. Are their any plans for a firmware update to allow AES + spdif inputs to be used at the same time, or is just technically not possible?

4. I've also got an SPL 2 Control that I use for multi monitor control and headphone amps. What would be the best way to integrate this with the Hilo? Would there be any problems taking the Hilo monitor outs and going into the 2Control? Ideally I'd monitor directly from Hilo, but being able to switch monitors is handy, and the headphone amp has the crossfeed feature which is very useful (would be great if Hilo implemented a crossfeed option on the headphone amp).

5. Hilo ships with the LT-USB card. Any plans for compatibility with other LT cards (adat, HD)?

6. Any timeline on when the Hilo adat i/o will be fully functioning?

Thanks!
TC
David A Hoatson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2012 at 8:03am
1. There is one digital receiver and sample rate converter, so you can only use one digital input at at time.  The exception is the ADAT Input.  That can be used as the same time as either S/PDIF Coax or AES/EBU.

2. Correct.

3. Not possible.

4. You can use the both if you want to.  Please explain more about the crossfeed.  The Hilo has a separate D/A converter for both the Monitor and Headphone amps, so you can have the same or different feeds going to each.

5. No reason to have the LT-ADAT since the Hilo already has ADAT (it wouldn't work anyway, since it isn't a real LSlot card - it is LStream - different connector).  The LT-HD is on the list - but presents a problem since it doesn't provide a MIDI connection like the LT-USB does  - so there would be no way to update the firmware on the Hilo.

6.  Yes.  That will work in the very next firmware release.  We are hoping to be beta testing by the end of the month.  We have added a couple of really cool new features as well.  Stay tuned!
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
Co-founder, Chief Software Engineer
TC View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 3:43pm
Hi David,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Crossfeed essentially adjusts the crosstalk between channels to better replicate a more natural listening environment (ie. through nearfields). I've found this valuable for referencing headphones or even for partially mixing on headphones if required. It basically helps avoid overcompensating, as well as fatigue, etc.

Here is the description from SPL describing the crossfeed feature, which explains it better than I could - http://spl.info/produkte/monitor-controller/2control/produktbeschreibung.html

I know that the Hilo is being marketed as being complementary to the Aurora units. I'm still trying to determine exactly how this would best fit in.

I think the usb option is great, great for updates, great for using on a second system for capturing a mix or using as an interface for mastering. however, I don't see that feature as being that complimentary to existing Aurora setups, hence the question about using other LT options (which I guess is actually "pseudo" LT, if it's actually L-stream).

As an example, I'm currently running 2 aurora 16's with 2 AES16e cards, one of which has an LS-adat card attached. I'm not wanting to run the Hilo via usb in this scenario, as it's adding one more device with (I assume) higher latency (usb 2) to an existing aggregate setup, which would mean 3 devices slowed down to the usb2 latency of the Hilo, and more likelihood of headaches with stability etc.

Also, in that scenario, I would obviously not be able to have the Hilo integrated into the Lynx Mixer, so it would be more difficult for direct monitoring. I would need to use one of the Hilo digital outs to integrate it into that configuration seamlessly to take advantage of that.

Not such a big deal, but it's something to consider. Again, since it's been stated a few times (over at GS) by Phil Moon that it's a complimentary product to the Aurora, I'm just trying to determine the actual extent of that in my scenario.

It's also a disappointment that I wouldn't be able to use spdif and AES at the same time. Does this also include the optical spdif ports if set to spdif instead of adat? (You mentioned adat as the exception).

I've got a couple of digital devices that are fixed @ 44.1k and would require src in both directions to use digitally. The src feature is a great feature to have on the Hilo, but I'd have to figure out how to best configure things. If I was able to use either adat out or optical spdif out along with rca spdif or aes/ebu i/o, it would solve a few problems.

One quick side question regarding the Lynx mixer under OSX - is there any way to pan a mono input to center? I can only seem to go L1 or R1, but I noticed in the windows video on vimeo there is a center position on mono inputs... (I'm probably completely missing something obvious, but I've never been able to pan mono inputs to center for direct monitoring).

Thanks again for the info!

Edited by TC - October/14/2012 at 3:45pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 3:52pm
There are three digital inputs: AES/EBU; S/PDIF Coax; S/PDIF Optical.  Only one can be used at a time.  If you change the S/PDIF Optical into the ADAT Input (starting with Firmware 5), then the ADAT Input can be used at the same time as the digital input.

In Lynx Mixer on OSX, hold the CTRL key and move the panner and that will exactly center it.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
TC View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 4:25pm
Hi David,

Thanks for the info. Regarding the digital i/o, that is great to know and makes things much easier. Will the same be true for digital outputs once the adat i/o is fully implemented? I would be able to use adat out plus aes/ebu for example?

Thanks for the mixer tip as well, I figured it was something simple

Hilo looks great, I'm going to do some more reading and get my head around it a bit more, but it certainly has a lot of very appealing features.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 8:32pm
The outputs are completely different.  All of the digital outputs can be run at the same time with different streams (except, of course, the S/PDIF Optical and ADAT Output - since those use the same physical connector).  The ADAT Output works now with Firmware 4.  The ADAT Input will work with Firmware 5 (see time frame above).
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
TC View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 1:38pm
Thanks again for the info.

I ordered a Hilo today, and should have it later this week. Looking forward to it.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 1:45pm
Thank you for the purchase!  Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
TC View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 4:21pm
Hi David,

Quick question. I just got the Hilo in today. It arrived with firmware 4 installed (PCB rev. B App version 1.0.1).

I downloaded the Hilo update anyway from the downloads section to check, and it crashed each time I tried to open it ("HiloUpdate quit enexpectedly"). It was this one (current download) from your site support section: 4/3/2012 OS X 10.6 and 10.7      Core Audio      Build 2012.04.03

Also noticed this file referenced in another thread: http://www.lynxstudio.com/drivers/HiloUpdateX20120814.zip

That one also crashed on launch. I'm on OSX 10.6.8.

Any suggestions? I think the Hilo is current, but the updater obviously shouldn't be crashing every time on launch. It's also showing up fine in A/M setup under audio devices.

Thanks!

PaulTech View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 5:25pm
Is the Hilo passing audio correctly? If so, is it free of distortion?
What other USB devices are connected to your computer?
Paul Erlandson
Lynx Studio Technology
Support
714-545-4700 x 206
Lynx Support and Updates on Facebook!
TC View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 5:55pm
Hi Paul,

It seems to be working fine. I'm just getting my head around it and reading the manual today, so I haven't really dug in yet. So far I've just tested the src on the spdif i/o which works great. (I've got a spdif device that only operates at 44.1 with no exteral clock ability, and it worked great with Hilo @ 48k set to internal clock).

The update app crashes on launch with or without the hilo connected, so it could be just the app on my system. I have got a lot of other usb devices, keyboards, dongles, usb hubs connected.

FWIW the other lynx updaters have worked fine. (I've got two aes-16e cards, ls-adat, and 2 auroras that I update as needed).

It's not really a big deal right now, just on the next firmware update it might be. I can try it on one of my other systems here as well to test. I'm not actually planning to use the usb connection on this system, but will for stereo mixdown to another system and listening to reference tracks on an ipod.

Edited by TC - October/24/2012 at 6:00pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 9:38pm
With OSX, each USB MIDI device might have its own driver (instead of the OSX supplied driver like the Hilo uses).  These might be causing a problem.  Two things to do:

1)  Try unplugging all of the USB MIDI devices except the Hilo. 
2) Send us the error report (Console > User Diagnostic Reports > Select the one that is for Hilo Update > Mail to support@lynxstudio.com).  We will look into it and see what might be the cause.

You are certainly going to want Firmware 5 on your Hilo...
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
TC View Drop Down
Bobcat
Bobcat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:13pm
Hi David,

Definitely something to do with my main system. I'll email the crash logs anyway. I hooked it up to my mbp and the update app launched fine. Shows current firmware 4 (April 3, 2012), PCB rev B. I assume this is the current version?

Thanks!
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2012 at 7:28am
Glad to hear it worked OK for you.  Yes, FW4 is current.
Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
 Post Reply Post Reply